Notes from the Past


In philatelic news stories concerning new US stamps, you will often find linked with the name of the stamp designer that of someone called a "modeler."

The function of the modeler is not generally understood, and it could be more clearly defined if you were to think of the modeler as doing for a stamp designer what an editor does for a writer.

The modeler will take artwork furnished by the designer and adapt it to the requirements of the engraver, in the case of a recess or intaglio printed stamp, or of the technician responsible for the next stage in production of a stamp produced by any of the photographic production methods.

In the US, modelers are craftsmen employed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. 

- Kenneth A. Wood
This is Philately - Volume Two G-P
Van Dahl Publications 1982
Posted October 3, 2000

Index of 508 Notes from the Past

Note:  If the link isn't returned the first try, try again.

Comments? Send me an e-mail
Please include a reference to this item.